Monday, May 4, 2009

Neo-Egyptian Dress

"Neo-Egyptian Dress", fabric paint on denim
Front detail, photo by Grace
This is my newest painted clothing creation inspired by my trip to Egypt this past summer and the art I saw there. It was sewn by my mother in Minnesota, and sent to me in Los Angeles where I made a few adjustments and painted on it. So this was really a collaborative project which I hope to do more of in the future. The dress is a simple empire waist design and made of a dark stretch denim. I've found that the fabric paints I've been using show up very well on denim, but I'm eager to try them on other materials. The design is purely free-hand and not copied. I simply used some photos of Egyptian artifacts and paintings as inspiration. The makeup I also did myself, and the necklace is from my antique jewelry collection.

Front view, photo by Grace

Front view in natural light, photo by Grace

Back view in natural light, photo by Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment