Monday, May 25, 2009

My multiple artistic personalities


This is my newest finished painting for the "Black Sugar Market" show coming up this Saturday at The Artery, in Costa Mesa, California. This painting I entitled "Sweet Dreams", and it is purely oil on canvas. Hmm...I'm relatively happy with how it turned out, but also felt it led me astray a bit as it was a break from my crayon rendering technique. Each piece I do naturally leans one way or the other or focuses on different aspects. I think the actual painting of this is exciting (it was great to just paint!), but it overall seems more illustrative than my other recent work. Well, you win some and you lose some, and art goes on. I admit it was refreshing to paint an insect again though, It's been a while!

...And now for something completely different! This is, oddly enough, my other most recent painting( acrylic/crayon on masonite and found objects) entitled "Nightfall". It's very LA to me. It reminds me of late nights driving around on the streets past dark corners and colorful lights, never knowing what you might discover. Now while this painting is non-figurative and 3-D, unlike my other work, it does have it's purpose. It was more of an experiment. I think my greatest work is yet to come and will consist of a combination of everything I've been doing experimenting with lately. The parts and various ideas will come together and become one greater whole. Think cities, girls, nature, crayon, paint, and 3-D or found object elements. I'm busy starting a whole series of works going along with this idea, so I will be posting more soon! I also hope to start posting more sketches and process documentation. My process is honestly very intuitive and music-influenced. Lately that influence has consisted of the newest albums from The Cure and Depeche Mode, Radiohead's "Kid A" album, and also Siouxsie and the Banshees' "Peepshow" album. I highly recommend all of them for playing during art-making.

No comments:

Post a Comment