Saturday, June 13, 2009

Recent Sketches

Here are some recent sketches I've done here in L.A. I've found that my sketchbook has two main purposes these days; compositional studies and ideas, or drawings that capture very current personal emotions or thoughts.

This is the sketch for my brother, Michael's CD release show's poster I designed. I have since done a color/final version using one of my all-time favorite mediums, marker, which I will be posting soon as well.













This is a small drawing I did of the trees that have recently made their way into my paintings. I like the idea of nature growing in unnatural ways...thus the trees sprouting cityscapes. I'm still figuring out the symbolism of them...













This drawing reminds me of a similar sketch I did while in Greece. This I drew after a night visit to the Griffith Observatory here in L.A.. The drawing in Greece I did which was similar was done after I saw the lights of Athens one night from a mountian. So both were inspired by different cities but the same stars. Now looking at this drawing, while the girl seems hopeful, the city below seems to creep up foreboadingly












This reminds me of many sketches filling my books of the past. I think I used to draw in a similar more simplistic and direct style in highschool. Sometimes I just have to draw soemthing quick to capture a fleeting idea or memory. I drew this after a day at Manhatten beach.

















This is a quick sketch for a collaborative installation project I'm working on.





Some compositional sketches for recent and future paintings. This is how all my paintings start out- phase one of creation :)












No comments:

Post a Comment